From: Merijn Broeren <merijnb at iloquent dot com>
Subject: Re: Sybperl with Sybase v.12
Date: Dec 12 2003 3:52PM

Quoting Michael Peppler (mpeppler@peppler.org):

> If you wish to use the 64-bit Sybase Client library, then you must use a
> C compiler that can generate 64-bit code, and use (or build) a perl
> binary in 64-bit mode as well.

Which I have just done for our Itanium platform. It all builds and tests
well with 5.6.1 and 5.8.2. On closer inspection I noticed that when
building against 64bit, with the BUILDTYPE=64 set in the CONFIG file
only the libct64.so is linked against. Which works fine, but our 5.8.2
is a threaded build. So I'd prefer to use the libct_r64.so libraries.

I've now changed the Makefile.PL code to add _r64 to the lib names
instead of just 64. Can we have a THREADSAFE=Y option in the CONFIG
file? Or even better(?) a

if ($Config{useithreads} || $Config{use5005threads}) { ... }

or am I being overly paranoid? 5.8.2 with DBD-Sybase 1.01 and the 64 bit
_r libraries test fine.

Cheers,
--
Merijn Broeren | Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavour of life,
Software Geek  | take big bites. Moderation is for monks.