From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Switch SEPARATOR between different BCP runs
Date: Nov 2 2003 7:26PM

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 12:52, Jayson Pifer wrote:
> The proper way of doing this is supposed to be with the quote regex
> qr//.  I tested this method and it worked using this quick hack in the
> BLK module:

> As to performance, I think the jury is still out.  My speed gains are
> minimal, but I suspect if the regular expression gets more complex the
> performance will make a difference.  Here are the results on my
> machine:

I ran your benchmark on an older RH 7.3 box, and I get very little
difference between the different ways of calling split(), so I think I
won't even bother to use the qr() functionality.

(note - the benchmark script actually segfaulted on RH 8/perl
5.8.0-threaded. I haven't investigated the reason for the problem,
though.)