From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: SybPerl -- make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `subdirs'
Date: Oct 23 2003 2:41PM

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 20:53, Balu K wrote:
> Hello,
>     I have downloaded  sybperl-2.151 and am trying to install  on Solaris
> 2.8 with Sybase ASE 12.0 , I have  Perl version 5.005_03 .
> After setting the Sybase home path , I did the following
>   perl Makefile.PL
> i saw the following error ..............
> ===================
> Request error: class file/memory mismatch

That's not a serious warning and can be safely ignored.

> cc -c -I/sybase/home/OCS-12_0/include  -xO3 -xdepend     -DVERSION
> =\"2.151\"  -D
> XS_VERSION=\"2.151\" -KPIC -I/usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/CORE
> -DCTLIBVS=100
> -DSYBPLVER='"2.151"' -DDO_TIE CTlib.c
> sh: cc: not found
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `CTlib.o'
> Current working directory /perl/sybperl-2.151/CTlib
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `subdirs'
>
> ================
> Is the error due to non availability of  C (cc) compiler ?  ,    i have
> seen in some of your FAQ's that, this could be solved by using gcc from
> sunfreeware.com .

Yes, that is correct.

> Could you please tell me whether gcc would solve the problem  without C
> Compiler ?
> also it would be of great help i you could tell me what all steps to be
> done to install gcc and other  related settings.
> Do i have to rebuild perl ? after installing gcc ?  if so how this could be
> achieved ?

You need to install gcc from http://www.sunfreeware.com/. This is quite
simple to do as it comes in a Solaris package, and you simply use pkgadd
to install it.

There may also be a perl package at sunfreeware, which would have been
built with gcc - if so I suggest that you also install it.

The alternative is to rebuild perl from source - this is quite
straightforward: download perl 5.8.0 from http://search.cpan.org or
http://www.perl.com, unpack, and run ./Configure and answer any
questions.