From: Michael Burstin <mikeb at concerto dot com>
Subject: Re: 'Sybase error: Unknown network type found in interface file'
Date: Oct 10 2003 5:07PM

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 08:58:10AM -0700, Michael Peppler wrote:

> > >if you put this interfaces file on the Solaris will your
> > >Solaris CTlib apps continue to work? The answer is yes, assuming
> > >that they use OpenClient 11.x or later.
> >
> > Ah, I see - the 'tli' versus 'ether' thing is just a different
> > way of encoding the host address and port.  I was thinking it was
> > something more profound like a different wire protocol.
> >
> > OK, I'll see if I can change the whole file to use 'ether'.  But
> > won't this break dblib applications on Solaris, since on that
> > platform dblib needs to see the TLI format?
>
> I just tried it - DBlibrary can read the plain ether format on Solaris
> (at least with OpenClient 12.0).
>
> So it would seem that you'd be OK with just "ether" based interfaces
> files for both platforms. The "ether" format has the advantage that
> you can specify the host name instead of the IP address, which
> simplify things if hosts get assigned different IP addresses (if
> they are moved, for example, or put on different subnets, etc.)

One quick warning.  If your dataserver is on the Solaris machine,
check your EBF revision.  I know for the longest time, even though
OpenClient apps (CTlib and DBlib) supported the "ether" format, the
dataserver itself did not (at least, the portion that boots the
dataserver).  That changed with one of the more recent (within the
past 9 months) EBF revisions (although I might be thinking 12.5, and
not 12.0).  Check the release notes to see if it mentions anything
about TLI.

--
Michael Burstin
NPI Engineer