From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: RE: 'Sybase error: Unknown network type found in interface file'
Date: Oct 10 2003 3:58PM

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 08:46, Avis, Ed wrote:

> >if you put this interfaces file on the Solaris will your
> >Solaris CTlib apps continue to work? The answer is yes, assuming
> >that they use OpenClient 11.x or later.
>
> Ah, I see - the 'tli' versus 'ether' thing is just a different
> way of encoding the host address and port.  I was thinking it was
> something more profound like a different wire protocol.
>
> OK, I'll see if I can change the whole file to use 'ether'.  But
> won't this break dblib applications on Solaris, since on that
> platform dblib needs to see the TLI format?

I just tried it - DBlibrary can read the plain ether format on Solaris
(at least with OpenClient 12.0).

So it would seem that you'd be OK with just "ether" based interfaces
files for both platforms. The "ether" format has the advantage that you
can specify the host name instead of the IP address, which simplify
things if hosts get assigned different IP addresses (if they are moved,
for example, or put on different subnets, etc.)