From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: RE: 'Sybase error: Unknown network type found in interface file'
Date: Oct 10 2003 3:39PM

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 08:31, Avis, Ed wrote:
> Michael Peppler  wrote:
>
> >Michael Burstin is correct - the TLI format is only supported
> >on Solaris and DEC/Tru-64 (IIRC). Client Library is capable of
> >reading both formats (on both platforms), but DB-Library only
> >reads the platform specific format, so for Linux you need to
> >create a "normal" interfaces file:
> >
> >TEST_LN
> >        query tcp ether 194.203.210.11 1400
> >        master tcp ether 194.203.210.11 1400
>
> Could you explain that again?  I didn't quite understand.
>
> Are you saying that ctlib reads the interfaces file, sees 'tli'
> but decides to use 'ether' instead since it knows TLI is not
> available?  Whereas dblib is not so clever and needs to be told
> the correct format to start with?

Correct - Back in OpenClient 10.x days you *had* to have TLI formatted
interfaces files (i.e. with the long hex string that describes the host
and port) on Solaris, and you *had* to have the other format for other
platforms (SunOS, HP-UX, etc). With OpenClient 11.x Client Library
became smarter, but DB-Library, as it is not being enhanced, does not
handle non-platform based interfaces files.

> Or do you mean that TLI format does work with ctlib on Linux,
> but does not work with dblib on Linux?
>
> What would be the effect on ctlib applications if I changed the
> interfaces file as you suggest above?

Meaning - if you put this interfaces file on the Solaris will your
Solaris CTlib apps continue to work? The answer is yes, assuming that
they use OpenClient 11.x or later.