From: Stephen dot Sprague at morganstanley dot com
Subject: Re: blk_init and image columns
Date: Aug 30 2002 8:23PM

Ahhh. Digging further I'm pretty sure this can be solved  by  increasing
the CS_PACKETSIZE connection property. Now if only I had sa priv to bump
the max size up from 512 on the server...

Thanks,
Steve

cf http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,6904,954,00.html

On most platforms, the packet size defaults to 512 bytes.  This  default
is provided for backward compatibility. Larger packet sizes 2048 to 4096
bytes, for example almost  always  yield  better  performance.  This  is
generally true for applications that fetch rows with large columns, rows
with lots of columns, or lots of rows with a few small  columns.  It  is
especially true for applications that do bulk  copy  data  transfers  or
that handle text and image data.

To increase a connection's packet size, set the CS_PACKETSIZE connection
property, via ct_con_props, prior to opening the connection.

Note
You may have to reconfigure  SQL  Server  to  accept  a  larger  maximum
network packet size. See the SQL Server System Administration Guide  for
instructions on reconfiguring the maximum network packet size.

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 @ 3:34pm, an entity claiming to be Stephen.Sprague@morg...:

Stephe :hi folks. I'm using Michael's BLK routines to do bulk inserts. Should  I
Stephe :be able to use blk_init on a table with an image column?
Stephe :
Stephe :Currently I'm getting a Signal SEGV.
Stephe :
Stephe :Here's the versions:
Stephe :   Perl          v5.6
Stephe :   Sybase::CTlib v2.14
Stephe :   OpenClient    v12.0
Stephe :
Stephe :I couldn't find any doc to the contrary and I see Sybase's command  line
Stephe :bcp references switch -T [image size] so I think it's possible. The question
Stephe :is does the Perl API support something analogous?
Stephe :
Stephe :Any pointers welcome.
Stephe :
Stephe :Thanks,