From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: perl 5.8.0
Date: Aug 16 2002 7:07PM

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 10:21, JamesRanson@aol.com wrote:
> Hi --
>
> I am brand new to this list, as I am brand new to SybPerl, and like all
> newbies, I have run into some problems getting it working.
>
> I am running Redhat 7.3, Perl 5.8.0 and Sybase Open Client 11.1.1. Perl and
> Sybase are working fine (I can run a "Hello World" script and run command
> line queries using isql). However, SybPerl is being a little difficult. I am
> getting errors on the make test (pasted below), and the "use Sybase::CTlib"
> line in my script is erroring with a segmentation fault.
>
> I have recompiled Perl using the normal Configuration and then recompiled
> SybPerl only to receive those errors. I then deleted the config.sh and
> Policy.sh and recompiled Perl with the Michael's recommended ./Configure,
> which returned an error that we have a "BIG problem" in that /usr/bin/ld:
> cannot find -lposix. So I then tried Michaels recommended ./Configure without
> the -lposix flag, and perl installed, but the make test on sybperl still
> gives the error below.

The most likely problem is an incorrect locale variable.

The default locale setting for RH 7.3 is "en_US.iso885915" (which you
can check by running "echo $LANG"). This locale isn't defined in
$SYBASE/locales/locales.dat.

I've added the following line on my system:

	locale = en_US.iso885915, us_english, iso_1

in the [linux] section.

Michael