From: Dennis Domingo <bigmango at yahoo dot com>
Subject: Re: How to get SP error messages
Date: Jul 23 2002 2:15AM

 alex:
it looks like you can use $DB_ERROR

             The nsql() routine will maintain the success or
             failure state in a variable $DB_ERROR, accessed by
             the method of the same name, and a pair of Sybase
             message/error handler routines are also provided
             which will use $DB_ERROR for the Sybase messages and
             errors as well.  However, these must be installed by
             the client application:
                 dbmsghandle("Sybase::DBlib::nsql_message_handler");
                 dberrhandle("Sybase::DBlib::nsql_error_handler");
             Success of failure of an nsql() call cannot
             necessarily be judged from the value of the return
             code, as an empty array may be a perfectly valid
             result for certain sql code.
             The following code is the proper method for handling
             errors with use of nsql.
                 @ret = $dbh->nsql("select stuff from table where stuff = 'nothi
ng'","ARRAY");
                 if ( $DB_ERROR ) {
                   # error handling code goes here, perhaps:
                   die "Unable to get stuff from table: $DB_ERROR\n";
                 }

is CNET hiring :)

dd
  Alex Quezada  wrote: Hi,

I'm using Sybase::DBlib to execute an SP, and this SP returns an error message:

couser-SF_CON_DEV1 1>EditElement @elementId=953684, @userId=100;
Msg 20023, Level 16, State 1
Server 'SF_CON_DEV1', Procedure 'EditElement', Line 76
Alex Quezada already has that 953684 checked out.
(return status = -114)

So I'd like to pass this error message along, but for the life of me I can't find the method to read the error message. I can grab the return status just fine, but that isn't enough since it doesn't give me the error details (like who has checked stuff out).

Anyone know what method I can use to grab this info?

thanks!

Alex Quezada