From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: sybperl and encryption
Date: Jun 27 2002 3:22PM

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 07:58, Monty Charlton wrote:
> All,
>
> This brings up an interesting somewhat related topic.  Does anyone know
> whether or not Sybase has direct support for encrypted fields?  Looks like
> Oracle does, but I don't see any mention of it by Sybase.

If you mean by this that Sybase handles the encyption, then apart from
the password column in syslogins (which is a one-way encrypted column)
it doesn't.

You need to handle the encryption yourself at the client side (which
makes more sense IMHO).

Now you could probably implement this yourself by playing around with
the XP server, or by writing an Open Server (I'll just mention that you
could probably coble together a solution for this with the XP server
plug-in that I'm working on (see www.zetatools.com), but it wouldn't be
particularly fast...)