From: Monty Charlton <mcharlton at dtint dot com>
Subject: Re: sybperl and encryption
Date: Jun 27 2002 2:58PM

All,

This brings up an interesting somewhat related topic.  Does anyone know
whether or not Sybase has direct support for encrypted fields?  Looks like
Oracle does, but I don't see any mention of it by Sybase.

Just curious, sorry for being semi-off topic.

Thanks,
Monty

On Wednesday 26 June 2002 05:27 pm, you wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 16:16, Lucas Rockwell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am wondering how the Sybase password is passed to the server when using
> > Sybperl. Is it encrypted somehow or is it in the clear?
> >
> > For example, with this code, is $pwd encrypted by Sybperl:
> >
> >     use Sybase::DBlib;
> >
> >     $dbh = new Sybase::DBlib 'sa', $pwd, $server, 'test_app';
>
> In general it is not encrypted (AFAIK).
>
> In CTlib (and possibly in DBlib) you can turn on encryption for the
> session:
>
> my $dbh = new Sybase::CTlib 'webuser', 'webuser', 'troll', 'testapp',
>                 {CON_PROPS => { CS_SEC_ENCRYPTION => 1 }};
>
> There are a few other CS_SEC_XXX properties that are supported - see the
> sybperl man page, and the corresponding entries in the Sybase OpenClient
> manual.
>
> Michael

Monty Charlton
Digital Technology International