From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Sybperl 2.12 and ASE 12.5
Date: Jun 24 2002 8:49PM

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 13:38, David J Iannucci wrote:

> Am I right in assuming that apart from a few minor bug
> fixes and/or features, our code ought to run just as well
> on ASE 12.5 as on the 11.5 that we've been using?

Yes - that is correct, as long as you don't start using wide varchar()
columns and other 12.x features.

However it is probably a good idea to rebuild sybperl with the new
libraries (unless you keep the old Sybase OpenClient libraries on the
client machines).

> Main reason I'd like to know is that I've seen a fairly
> severe performance hit when running against 12.5.

If you are moving from 11.5 to 12.5 I'm betting that what you are seeing
is datatype discrepancies that cause 12.5 to not use indexes (or use
indexes inefficiently).

11.9.x and later ASE releases are much more sensitive to datatype
compatibility on both sides of the condition in a where clause, so for
example comparing an INT with a NUMERIC will usually cause incorrect
index usage.

> p.s. to Michael: this might have been discussed before on
> the list, but I couldn't find any reference to a SYBPERL-L
> archive. Why don't you archive the list?

Ah - but it *is* archived:

http://www.cren.net:8080/guest/listutil/SYBPERL-L