From: "Masatsuyo Takahashi" <freesemt at mail1 dot accsnet dot ne dot jp>
Subject: Re: A patch proposal to the NULL-value problem on blk_rowxfer
Date: Jun 22 2002 2:03PM

I don't know if I am in the position to reply, but I'm replying anyway.
Please ignore if I'm making noises.

Scott Zetlan writes:
> So the issue isn't whether you get defined vs. undefined values --
although
> undef will always produce NULL --  in fact, the code goes something like
> this:
>
> my $null_pattern = $self->{_blk_global}->{'NULL'} || '^$';
> # Skip a bit, brother...
> if (defined ($null_pattern) && $data[$i] =~ /$null_pattern/o) {
>     $data[$i] = undef;
> }

This, when the $null_pattern is '^$', is what I first expected from the
patch.
Depending on the situation, the values people want to be NULLs are not
retricted to undef or "" alone, and it is the job of Sybase::BLK, not that
of
blk_rowxfer, to care for those various needs.

There should be a reasonable division of roles. That's what I learned,
for that, thank you again.

--
Masatsuyo Takahashi
freesemt@mail1.accsnet.ne.jp