From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: RE: SYBPERL 2.14/SOLARIS/SYBASE OCS 12.0
Date: May 30 2002 9:25PM

On Thu, 2002-05-30 at 10:33, Cooperman, Marc (Exchange) wrote:
> Michael
>
> -adding -ltli to the EXTRALIBS in the CONFIG file seems to have done the
> trick. It wasn't necessary with the version prior (OCS 11.1). Whether it's
> actually the OCS version or something else, I don't know.

Theoretically (don't you like that word?!?) OpenClient (in version 11
and later) should automatically pick up the correct -ltli or -linsck -
therefore recent sybperl distributions no longer link that library
explicitly.

However the exact library used can be controled by config files in (I
think), $SYBASE/$SYBASE_OCS/config, though I'm not sure how that really
works.

Not linking with -ltli or -linsck works fine on most installations, but
sometimes it fails (as with yours).

> In a related issue - is the -DMSSQL in the EXTRADEFS still supported? I'm
> trying to get a connection to a an MS SQL 2000 server on a PC, just for
> kicks. I did set the Dblib version down to 420 (4.2) (and also tried 700 for
> 7.0) as per other sources on compatibility. However, I'm not having much
> luck. I'm trying to avoid travelling down the FreeTDS road. MSSQL access
> from perl/UNIX seems very unpopular!

I haven't tried this at all - but MS is famous for changing things, and
I know that they tend to screw up big-endian/small-endian issues and
that may be what is biting you.

Michael