From: "Lee Wenzler" <leew at roanoketimes dot com>
Subject: forcing a deadlock
Date: May 16 2002 5:53PM

Can anyone give me some ideas on forcing a deadlock to occur? I need
this to test error handling.

 I'm able to cause a deadlock manually by using two sql sessions, with
both sessions lockstepping thru this:

begin tran                                              begin tran

update table1 set field1 = 'first'                update table2 set
field1 = 'second'

update table2 set field1 = 'first'                update table1 set
field1 = 'second'

commit tran                                           commit tran

I'd like to do the same thing using sybperl, but can't seem to cause a
deadlock, I only get one process blocked.

Thanks,

LeeW