From: JMiller at pressherald dot com
Subject: memory problems
Date: May 3 2002 1:16PM

Hi,
I have a sybperl (ver 2.06) script that chews up gobs of memory
on my Solaris system.  I am retrieving  text fields from sybase.
I read each result into a hash and process it.  my script will
reach 250+ MB plus before it runs out of memory.  this was
exacerbated when I had to bump up the textsize on the query
to 2048000.  I have tried to reinitialize the hash ( %hash = ""; )
after each fetch but it doesn't help.

any ideas how to reclaim/reuse this memory?

one idea I had was to just disconnect/reconnect to sybase
before I retrieve each field - this would work for me - but
HOW do I disconnect from sybase without exiting the script?
and will this release the memory?

thanks,

John J Miller
jmiller@pressherald.com