From: boss <boss at i-sphere dot com>
Subject: Re: Sybperl Vs Shell Scripts
Date: May 7 2002 8:00PM

Strange.  i don't recall seeing the beginning of this thread back in March.
But i'll put in my 2 cents.

I use a combo of sybperl and shell scripts for
administrative/operations type activities.  The decision comes down to
the complexity of the script: if i'm doing any kind of array processing,
(say, cycling through every table in a database or every index on a table)
then sybperl is your choice.

If the point of the script is to front end bcp jobs, or to get simple output
of sql commands (i.e., get output of sysusers for disaster recover) then
i've always preferred to use shell scripts redirected toa  file.  Also,
it used to be the case that Sybase's DBCC commands wouldn't print to
Standard Out (only standard Error) and thus COULD NOT be run through
perl programs if you wanted to see output.  Now, i think there are dbcc
handling modules that account for this.

I've got code examples (albeit aged) for both at my website,
www.bossconsulting.com/sybase_dba (look at Ad-hoc scripting, Nightly
and Weekly jobs for examples).

boss