From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: DBI/DBD::Sybase error handling issues
Date: Apr 24 2002 2:27PM

On Wed, 2002-04-24 at 07:15, Michael Burstin wrote:
> I am once again running into some "interesting" error handling
> sitations.  I have a set of scripts which are actually causing a
> Sybase stacktrace, but in this, I discovered that I am not actually
> catching the Sybase error in my DBI code.  I am in a situation where
> $DBI::errstr is being set, however, $DBI::err is not!  I thought that
> this was an impossible state to get into (I thought they were directly
> tied together, errstr only getting set if err is set).

> Sybase is returning a 5702 error to me (my code is causing a stack
> trace), the Sybase write-up on this states to fix the error causing
> this issue (which I agree), but I don't understand why I don't catch
> this.
>
> (I know the cause of these errors are someone tried to create a raw
> device on a mounted UFS file system -- these scripts are being
> developed to stage systems, not run on a system once live).

Are you *sure* that the code below causes the 5702 error? Isn't it the
DISK INIT call that would cause the error?

The trace you show is clean - if there is an error from Sybase it
normally gets printed in the trace...

mpeppler@peppler.org           *or*          mpeppler@mbay.net
http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler
International Sybase User Group: http://www.isug.com