From: Graham1 dot SIMPSON at hsbcib dot com
Subject: ct_init error for Sybperl CTLib on ASE 12.5 OCS
Date: Apr 17 2002 8:46AM

Hi Folks,

We're getting the following from a script:

Open Client Message:
Message number: LAYER = (5) ORIGIN = (3) SEVERITY = (5) NUMBER = (131)
Message String: ct_init(): network packet layer: internal net library error:
Attempt to load protocol driver failed
Sybase::CTlib initialize: ct_init() failed at
/opt/perl5/lib/5.6.1/PA-RISC2.0/DynaLoader.pm line 225.

...when running Sybperl CTlib against an ASE 12.5 SWR 9614 open client
(OCS-12_0)

We normally get this error when the environment ($SYBASE, $SYBASE_OCS, etc.) is
not set correctly. However, on this occassion all looks good.

If I run the script against open client 12.x SWR 9461 (this is where sybperl was
 compiled against) - all is good.

Doing a sum of the lib directories in each open client area produces different
checksums, in fact most of the files are different (understandably).

>From the FAQ:

"2.4 I've moved the Sybase libraries, and Sybperl won't run...

The sybperl make process hard-codes the path to the Sybase shared
libraries (libsybdb.so and friends) into the binaries (either the
dynamically loadable modules, or the Perl executable). This is done so
that Perl can find the libraries it needs even if the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment variable which is normally used to specify special library
directories is not set "

Is this still true? If so, when building a sybperl package, do we have to ensure
 that the same version of open client is on there at the same location as
compile time????

Thanks for any help you can give,

Graham Simpson

This transmission has been issued by a member of the HSBC Group
"HSBC" for the information of the addressee only and should not be
reproduced and / or distributed to any other person. Each page attached
hereto must be read in conjunction with any disclaimer which forms part
of it. Unless otherwise stated, this transmission is neither an offer nor the
solicitation of an offer to sell or purchase any investment. Its contents are
based on information obtained from sources believed to be reliable but
HSBC makes no representation and accepts no responsibility or liability as
to its completeness or accuracy.