From: Stephen dot Sprague at morganstanley dot com
Subject: BULK IN/OUT
Date: Apr 8 2002 2:03PM

Given that the perl interface to bulk insert is as Michael notes 3 to  4
times slower than Sybase's command line version I got  to  thinking  why
that is.

My first thoughts were why isn't there some form of binary (unformatted)
bcp out and bcp in? I suspect formatting takes up good deal of time. Say
I was content to get an 'unpack format' and the binary representation of
the data would that shave significant time off the operations of getting
data in and out of sybase?

this would be similiar to not specifying a '-c' option on  Sybase's  bcp
utility. My use right now is just  shelping  data  from  one  server  to
another - I really don't need to see the data.  Why  should  I  pay  for
formatting it and unformatting it?

Then again is this really slowing things down?

thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve