From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Sybperl Vs Shell Scripts
Date: Mar 28 2002 3:02PM

Sabherwal, Balvinder (MBS) writes:
 > I am looking for some inputs from you in order to present some facts about
 > the capabilities of sybperl which are lacking in shell scripts and also I
 > need to make a compelling argument to use perl instead of shell scripts.
 >
 > Can anyone help me get this info or point me to some place where I cam find
 > some info so I can get some information. The questions I am looking to get
 > answered are :
 >
 > Why should we use perl instead of shell scripts??
 > What features perl/sybperl offers that are not in shell scripts?
 > How is perl beneficial as compared to shell scripts??

perl scripts are much faster than shell scripts.
perl scripts allow much better error control and recovery.
sybperl (vs. isql in shell script) is *much* faster, *much* better
error control, greatly expanded usage flexibility.

perl scripts are checked for syntax errors before they are run, so you
won't get a script that aborts half-way through because of an error on
line 256 (or wherever).

perl scripts can use eval {} to catch fatal errors in deeply nested
code and cleanly restart/retry/abort in case of errors.

CPAN - The Comprehensive Perl Archive Network - has modules for just
about any task imaginable. These modules have (in general) been tested
by lots of other folks, so you won't have to reinvent the wheel each
time you have a new project.

The perl user community is extensive, with a lot of resources to draw
from if you run into a problem - for example www.perlmonks.org, where
I hang out from time to time.

sybperl is well supported (by yours truly :-) and has been around for
over 10 years now...

mpeppler@peppler.org           *or*          mpeppler@mbay.net
http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler
International Sybase User Group: http://www.isug.com