From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: getting output of sp_helptext
Date: Mar 24 2002 11:44PM

David J Iannucci writes:
 > I note that sp_helptext returns the text of the procedure in
 > chunks, with newlines artificially attached to each chunk.  I
 > wrote a Perl script to collect these chunks from the output
 > of sp_helptext, "chomp" them, and re-concatenate them together.
 >
 > The result, you'd think, would be identical to what had been
 > put into the database originally.  Apparently not.  In the
 > process of storing the source text, Sybase must be truncating
 > trailing whitespace, or something, from chunks, because after
 > I concatenate, I get words smooshed together with no whitespace
 > in between, viz. "where id = 10" becomes "whereid = 10".

Yes it's a well known problem - it's because sp_helptext doesn't join
the rows from syscomments together correctly. You can use sp__helptext
(from Ed Barlow's stored proc library), pull the proc text from
syscomments directly yourself, or as others have mentioned use
dbschema.pl to extract the DDL.

mpeppler@peppler.org           *or*          mpeppler@mbay.net
http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler
International Sybase User Group: http://www.isug.com