From: abe dot crabtree at citicorp dot com
Subject: RE: Sybase 12.5 on Solaris
Date: Mar 14 2002 9:06AM

Mike -

I don't know Solaris, but I think the problem is probably not Solaris specific.

The Server and Client are completely separate.  Sybase blurbs state which old
clients you can run against which newer Servers and vice versa, and when older
ones are no longer supported.

As far as I can tell, you had server 12.0 and client 12.0, and want to move
both to 12.5.  I think libtli.so probably isn't present in the newer client.

Therefore I think the answer to your question will be "yes" - rebuild.

If the above is correct (and probably even if not,) an alternative is simply to
persist with Open Client v12.0.  Is there any specific reason to upgrade the
client?  v12.0 client will be supported for a long time.  If I were you I'd
stick with the client you have.

You don't have to switch to 64 bit client software just because the server
changes to 64 bit incidentally.  We have Sybase 64 bit server on HP-UX, but all
our client software (C apps, perl + sybperl, isql) are 32 bits (and are better
as 32 bits - smaller and quicker.)

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Abe