From: Michael Burstin <mikeb at concerto dot com>
Subject: Re: Sybase 12.5 on Solaris
Date: Mar 14 2002 2:51PM

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 09:40:59AM -0500, Scott Zetlan wrote:
> > From: owner-SYBPERL-L@list.cren.net
> > [mailto:owner-SYBPERL-L@list.cren.net]On Behalf Of Michael Burstin
>
> > I probalby should have mentioned before that this Sybperl/DBD::Sybase
> > was being installed on the dbserver itself, and not just on a client
> > machine.  The perl scripts are used to build the actual systems
> > (databases, devices, etc) -- these are systems which get installed at
> > customer sites, nothing that stays in-house.
>
> As a previous poster mentioned, Sybase OpenClient and Sybase Server
> software both get installed in separate directories (different
> subdirs in the Sybase directory tree).  Thus, you can have multiple
> versions of OpenClient coexist with multiple versions of Sybase ASE.
> Additionally, an upgrade shouldn't replace your previous versions of
> ASE or OCS; instead, it should just add the new directories and
> modify environment variables (i.e., $SYBASE and $SYBASE_OCS) as
> appropriate.

Right, I know that, but the machine(s) where testing is being done
never has had Sybase 12.0 installed.  It is a clean machine, with just
Solaris installed, as well as my perl scripts and perl modules (DBI,
DBD, etc).

> So I'd leave the OCS 12.0 software in place and add the 12.5 client
> libraries; that'll give you time to figure out the build procedures
> while your legacy scripts still work properly.  Just remember that
> your $SYBASE and $SYBASE_OCS variables will control which version of
> the libraries/binaries you use.

My entire purpose of this testing is to figure out the build
procedures, without any legacy (sybase) software installed.  I just am
trying to see if I can still continue to use my same Sybperl and
DBD::Sybase, or if I needed to build a new set for OCS 12.5, or if I
can get away with still using my old Sybperl/DBD::Sybase with just
creating a symlink to libtli.so.

--
Michael Burstin
NPI Engineer