From: Michael Burstin <mikeb at concerto dot com>
Subject: Re: Sybase 12.5 on Solaris
Date: Mar 14 2002 1:33PM

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 12:59:49PM -0800, Michael Peppler wrote:
> Michael Burstin writes:
>  > On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 03:40:58PM -0500, Scott Zetlan wrote:
>  > > Hmm... I have Solaris 8, and my Sybase 12.5 lib/ directory shows
>  > > libtli64.so and libtli_r64, but no libtli.  When you do get your
>  > > 64-bit version, you'll probably need libtli64 (single-threaded perl;
>  > > libtli_r64 contains the reentrant versions of the same APIs).
>  >
>  > I do see a libtli.so.12.5.0, which after symlinking appears to work.
>
> Yes - that's probably the simplest solution.

Good...  makes things easier...

>  > I guess maybe a better question would be, will I be safe running a
>  > Sybperl or DBD::Sybase built against OpenClient 12 but running with
>  > OpenClient 12.5?
>
> Yes, until you want to store/fetch data that requires the upgraded
> protocol to work (such as wide varchar columns)

As of now, the perl scripts are used to build databases, and do basic
queries...  and the rest of our software isn't be updated to anythign
new for Sybase 12.5, so I guess I'm safe there...

> I would suggest loading the 32bit OpenClient rather than going 64 bit
> with everything.

I just didn't know if OpenClient on the Sybase 12.5 64bit install
would install 32bit client or 64.  From looking at my Sybase 12.0
system, it looks like at least libtli.so is 32bit (with a libtli64.so
existing on the system).  I am guessing Sybase 12.5 64bit will stay
the same.

I probalby should have mentioned before that this Sybperl/DBD::Sybase
was being installed on the dbserver itself, and not just on a client
machine.  The perl scripts are used to build the actual systems
(databases, devices, etc) -- these are systems which get installed at
customer sites, nothing that stays in-house.

--
Michael Burstin
NPI Engineer