From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Sybase 12.5 on Solaris
Date: Mar 13 2002 8:59PM

Michael Burstin writes:
 > On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 03:40:58PM -0500, Scott Zetlan wrote:
 > > Hmm... I have Solaris 8, and my Sybase 12.5 lib/ directory shows
 > > libtli64.so and libtli_r64, but no libtli.  When you do get your
 > > 64-bit version, you'll probably need libtli64 (single-threaded perl;
 > > libtli_r64 contains the reentrant versions of the same APIs).
 >
 > I do see a libtli.so.12.5.0, which after symlinking appears to work.

Yes - that's probably the simplest solution.

 > Not sure what I will have once I get my 64bit version.  I just want to
 > make sure that this won't cause anything to blow up.

Depends on whether you really want/need to build
perl/sybperl/DBI/DBD::Sybase in 64 bit mode.

 > I guess maybe a better question would be, will I be safe running a
 > Sybperl or DBD::Sybase built against OpenClient 12 but running with
 > OpenClient 12.5?

Yes, until you want to store/fetch data that requires the upgraded
protocol to work (such as wide varchar columns)

 > > On the other hand, if you just want to use your existing Sybperl to
 > > communicate with a 12.5 server, you should be fine if you leave the
 > > original Sybase open client libraries on your system (they can
 > > coexist with other versions).
 >
 > These are for deployment on customer systems, which will only have one
 > version of Sybase installed.  Its just my test box which can have
 > everything.

I would suggest loading the 32bit OpenClient rather than going 64 bit
with everything.

Michael

mpeppler@peppler.org           *or*          mpeppler@mbay.net
http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler