From: =?iso-8859-1?B?UmFnbmFyIFdpc2z4ZmY=?= <ragnar at wisloff dot no>
Subject: Re: sybperl on Red Hat Linux 8.0
Date: Nov 5 2002 3:58PM

Sitat Michael Peppler :

> It should be possible.
>
> Note that I've been using the stock perl RPM on RedHat for the
> last
> couple of years (RH 7.1 and 7.3) and they work perfectly with
> sybperl -
> i.e. no conflict with libdb.a:
>
> perl -v
>
> This is perl, v5.6.1 built for i386-linux
>
> perl -V:libs
> libs='-lnsl -ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt -lutil';

Thanks for responding, Michael. You are indeed correct, on RHL
7.3 this is the case. I get the same result. But this is
unfortunately *not* the case for RHL 8.0, which shows this:

perl -V:libs
libs='-lnsl -lgdbm -ldb -ldl -lm -lpthread -lc -lcrypt -lutil';

So Red Hat has changed something, but I can't find out how to
change it back.

The problem is that the machine on which Sybperl needs to run has
been upgraded from RHL 6.2 to 8.0, and I cannot degrade it again.
Perhaps the solution is to remove all the Perl rpms and install
the ones for 7.3. I don't much fancy this option, though. Perl is
so integrated into the distro that something's bound to break.

As I said, I've tried a lot of things and spent a few days
getting this up and running, so I'm starting to get a bit
desperate. The box needs to go back into production.

Any thoughts anyone?

--
Mvh Ragnar Wisl°ff