From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: sybperl on Red Hat Linux 8.0
Date: Nov 5 2002 3:33PM

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 04:44, Ragnar Wisl°ff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Perhaps this is a perl issue more than sybperl, but i'll venture a
> question anyway.
>
> I'm struggling to get perl configured so that sybperl will work.
> Ideally I would like to be able to recompile the perl rpm. But I'm
> seeing the same problem even if I compile perl from source.
>
> Perl is v. 5.8.0.
>
> I've tried this:
>
> $ ./Configure -ders -Dlibs="-lnsl -lgdbm -ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt"
> -Dprefix=/usr
> $ make
> $./perl -V:libs
>
> But the -ldb shows up. Even if I edit the config.sh file and
> remove ndbm and db from the libswanted  line I still get the same.
>
> In the perl.spec file in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS I have tried a lot
> of settings, but if it does compile and produce rpms, the unwanted
> libs still show up.
>
> So I have three questions:
>
> Anyone know what settings must be changed in the
> /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/perl.spec file?
>
> Have anyone actually made rpms for i386 for RHL 8.0 and are
> willing to share?
>
> What is the correct full Configure line to give to a pristine
> source code build of perl to make it fit into the Red Hat Linux
> file locations for perl?
>

> I'm starting to think that it's not possible to get this working,
> please tell me otherwise :-/

It should be possible.

Note that I've been using the stock perl RPM on RedHat for the last
couple of years (RH 7.1 and 7.3) and they work perfectly with sybperl -
i.e. no conflict with libdb.a:

perl -v

This is perl, v5.6.1 built for i386-linux

perl -V:libs
libs='-lnsl -ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt -lutil';

Michael