From: Matthew dot Persico at Lazard dot com
Subject: Re: Justification
Date: Jan 28 2002 10:06PM

Perfect. That's more than enough text to twist, warp, spin (take your pick) into
a "we have to upgrade" statement.

:-)

Thanks.
--
Matthew Persico
Vice President

                                               To:     "SybPerl Discussion List"
             "Michael Peppler"                 cc:
             Sent by:
             owner-SYBPERL-L@list.cren.
             net

             28 Jan 2002 01:02 PM
             Please respond to
             SYBPERL-L

Matthew.Persico@Lazard.com writes:
 > I really want to move from perl 5.004_04 to 5.6.1. I can give the usual
"better,
 > faster, stronger" arguments, and I can say that many of the XML classes don't
 > function well under 5.004_04. However, a third bullet, so to speak, would
really
 > help. I'm hoping it's Sybase.
 >
 > We are planning to upgrade from Sybase 11.5 to Sybase 12.0. What is the
earliest
 > version of DBD::Sybase that will fully support (no bugs, caveats, gotchas,
 > work-arounds) that supports 12.0?  (5.6.1, 5.6.1 PLEASE SAY 5.6.1....) :-)

A couple of things:

1. TimB has stated that 5.004_xx won't be supported beyond DBI 1.20.
2. It's best to use DBD::Sybase 0.93 (or later) when building with OCS
   12.x.
3. I've not tested recent DBD::Sybase versions with perl < 5.005
4. My current development platform for DBD::Sybase (and sybperl) is
   5.6.0/5.6.1 (linux and solaris).

So there is no *imperative* to go to 5.6.1 (rather than, say,
5.005_03, for example), but I would *definitely* upgrade from
5.004_04.