From: abe dot crabtree at citicorp dot com
Subject: RE: Justification
Date: Jan 28 2002 9:21AM

I don't have a full answer at all, but the following logic is happening for us,
and may well apply to you:

Our existing build is 5.004_04.
The sybperl extension was built with Open Client 10.0.3.x (of course you have
DBD, but a similar argument probably applies - I can't say.)
Open Client 10.0.3.x is out of support - I think it finished last December.
The same applies to 11.1.1 - you must use 12.0.
If you rebuild Sybase DBD, you should use Open Client 12.0.
You may well find that as a consequence you have to rebuild perl.  I don't know
what platform you are on, but this happened to me on HP-UX.
If you rebuild perl you really should use the latest stable - 5.6.1.

Of course this isn't the overwhelming argument you are after.  Even if it
doesn't win you your argument, this is something you do need to investigate -
all your DB clients should be going over to 12.0, and that includes perl
scripts and programs.  Open Client is fairly invisible with perl, but you still
have to be careful.

You can soldier on with 5.004 and it will work against the new server, but it
seems to me it's a bit of a hostage to fortune.

To my knowledge 5.6.1 does not require any changes to existing perl code,
though it has some functionality improvements (we haven't moved yet, so I
haven't got details let alone practical experience of any necessary change
however, though I think there should be none.)

Regards,

Abe Crabtree