From: David Owen <dowen at midsomer dot org>
Subject: Re: Sybase-Simple vs DBD::Sybase
Date: Sep 13 2001 5:37PM

    Heinz> I know DBD is more DB independent, but thats not one of our main
    Heinz> priorities, the main priority is getting better and more
    Heinz> standardized "production" code.

Personally I think that the database independence of DBI is a little
overrated.  I know that the calling mechanism within perl is independent,
but the really interesting stuff, the SQL, definitely is not.  I would
probably agree that if your people were having to write scripts against
both Sybase and another DBMS, then using DBI would have its benefits, but
if they are going to be using Sybase only then let them have the option of
the more powerful API.

$0.02

dowen
--