From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Sybperl errors.
Date: Aug 22 2001 8:31PM

nsmudde@csc.com writes:
 > We are having trouble loading sybperl.  The system admin has tried
 > everything from changing various path statements to reinstalling perl from
 > source.  Please see errors in attached message.  I know that we resolved
 > this before on another system, but nothing works here.  Any help is
 > appreciated.

A couple of issues.

First:

 > We are running:
 > $ perl -V
 > Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 6 subversion 0) configuration:

 >   Linker and Libraries:
 >     ld='ld', ldflags =' -L/usr/local/lib -b32'
 >     libpth=/usr/local/lib /lib /usr/lib /usr/ccs/lib
 >     libs=-lbind -lnsl -ldbm -ldb -ldl -lld -lm -lC -lc -lcrypt -lbsd -lPW
 > -licov

The -ldb above is going to cause problems if libdb.a is from Berkeley
DB 1.x (because it has a function called dbopen(), which will conflict
with DBlibrary's dbopen()).

 > Hi Nancy,
 > Here are the errors.  I noticed that a lot of the undefined symbols start
 > with "ct". Does this product expect to have the sybase ct  libraries
 > installed on the server? If it does, that could be a problem as we do not
 > own the server version.
 >
 > Al
 >
 > newhacunix1:root> perl Makefile.PL
 > Checking if your kit is complete...
 > Looks good
 > Checking if your kit is complete...
 > Looks good
 > Writing Makefile for Sybase::BCP
 > Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lct
 > Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lcs
 > Note (probably harmless): No library found for -ltcl
 > Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lcomn
 > Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lintl
 > Note (probably harmless): No library found for -linsck
 > Writing Makefile for Sybase::CTlib
 > Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lsybdb
 > Note (probably harmless): No library found for -linsck

OK - now this is the real problem. When running perl Makefile.PL the
script can't find the Sybase library files anywhere (or at least not
where it expects them).

Is the SYBASE env. variable set correctly?

If this is ASE 12.x, is the SYBASE_OCS variable set correctly? (in
general for ASE 12.x the easiest thing to do is to source the
SYBASE.sh or SYBASE.csh file that the Sybase installation creates in
the root directory of the Sybase install tree to get the correct
env. variables set).