From: Liz <ainsleyg at optonline dot net>
Subject: Re: Replication Server
Date: Jul 24 2001 3:26AM

we use a perl / sybperl script to do this....
a) poll on whatever interval is appropriate for you using :
while {
poll the target databases;
run your queries;
sleep for some amount of time;
}
b) push a heartbeat thru from each source database ... you decide the
interval. Ours is 5 minutes.
c) use the perl script to :
1) check sq space (simple rssd query
2) check the rs_lastcommit at the replicate.
calculate the latency and time since the hearbeat was last replicated.
if the amount of time 'since' is greater than some interval (certainly more
than the hearbeat interval , obviously) then page or email.
Note: recent rep server p&t doc available at sybase (one of the best docs
I've ever seen imho - from sybase or anyone) advises NOT to do this.
We've been doing it for 3 years and not had a problem.....as always one's
mileage varies.
We do this because we've had ltm's stop replicating as a result of network
hits BUT admin who_is_down shows that every is happy.
Besides monitoring latency is an absolute must .....
honestly ... the script is about 1 hours work if you crib from Michaels
sybperl docs (hell , that's how I did it....)
start out simple (I did) and add complexity (like more replicate database
servers , rep servers etc)
other alternatives ... checkout www.dbadevil.com.... those fellows know
their stuff and you'll probably find something there. You might also want to
look at John Kirkwoods recent Rep Server book ... you'll get some useful
info from that...

Ron