From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Date/Time on an ASE 12.0
Date: Jul 17 2001 2:08PM

Torsten Bauer writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > not sure if this question is relating directly to SybPerl or DBI, but
 > probably you can help me also.
 >
 > I use DBI to retrieve data from a couple of Sybase Servers (ASE 12.0) around
 > the world. Each Server is set to localtime.
 > My problem is now, that I need every day data from that servers, but the
 > information of the date/time fields as UTC.
 > Is there any possibility to get this directly from the server, because I
 > don't really know in which timezone a server is.

Unfortunately no. The dataserver doesn't know anything about
timezones.

In general the best approach is to run all the dataservers in UTC, and
convert to/from localtime in the clients, but it sounds like this
isn't an option for you as the system is already in place.

Your best bet is to create a table (hash, configuration file or
something similar) with the timezones for each server, and then use
gmtime()/localtime()/timelocal() to convert from each server's
localtime to UTC.