From: "Tanja Davidson" <tanja_davidson at ncsu dot edu>
Subject: Re: Single quotes around fields -- sybperl
Date: Jul 9 2001 6:07PM

single quotes have to be doubled before inserting into a sybase
database.

ie  name=O'Connor
      name=Smith
     name=O'Malley

you'd do:

$name=$name;
$name=~ s/'/''/g;

to double quote the contents of $name and then you'd insert this new
variable.  That's how I do it and it works great.

>>> rtillery@citistreetonline.com 7/9/01 2:00:34 PM >>>

Just a basic question - I'm a beginner at this (note "Intern" in my
autosignature!).
If I want to include single quotes in my fields, would this be the
proper
way:

	mysqlstmt = {   INSERT INTO somedb..sometable
				'$someid',
				 $something
			}

now, when I print the inserted row out, and $someid is empty (empty
string)
and $something = 123, will this appear:

				'',
				123

or will $someid show up as ' ' (note the space in there), or something
else
entirely?
I apologize if my phrasing is confusing or insulting -- thanks for your
time, everyone.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Richard Tillery
Intern - Client Systems Development
Citistreet TBO Division
Internal ext. 12893