From: Patrick S Leung <pleung at easygroup dot com>
Subject: client api layer error
Date: Jun 6 2001 9:45AM

Dear all,

I use a perl script to fetch data from sever sybase ase dbs.  The perl
scripts are on one linux machine while the db is on another linux
machine.  All but one sybase server gave me the open client error.  I
got the error even if I run the perl script on the same machine.

Open Client Message:
Message number:  LAYER = (1) ORIGIN = (1)  SEVERITY = (1) NUMBER = (163)
Message String:  ct_results():  user api layer: external error:  This
routine cannot be called until all fetachable results have been
completely processed.

Open Client Message:
Message number:  LAYER = (1) ORIGIN = (1)  SEVERITY = (1) NUMBER = (16)
Message String:  ct_command():  user api layer: external error:  This
routine cannot be called while results are pending for a command that
has been sent to the server.

... repeat for every sql statement.

The sql states are nothing complicated... just a single SELECT
statement, executed by ct_execute.

Could the sybase ASE version be a problem?  This db server actually was
installed using one of the very early ase release.  If nothing helps, I
will have to reinstall Sybase and compile sybperl again, as a last resort.

Thanks

Patrick