From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: message sending
Date: May 29 2001 3:57PM

Stephen.Sprague@morganstanley.com writes:
 > to wit, from the server one can send a message to the client at  anytime
 > via a raiserror (or even a T-SQL print for that matter).  Now  the  part
 > that interests me is can I return a message back to the server processs?
 >
 > In other words, something like this:
 >
 >      declare @message_returned_from_client varchar(100)
 >      rasierror 30000 "message to client"
 >      select @message_returned_from_client = @@message
 >
 > where @@message is packed by the  client  error  handler.  Does  such  a
 > global variable exist?

Hmmm... I don't think that there is anything that you can use to
achieve that directly.

A sort of workaround solution might be to have a table to which your
client can write, and from which you can select in your proc (although
I'm not sure that you can initiate a SQL request from within an error
handler).

You should probably take this to the Sybase news groups
(news://forums.sybase.com) where you are likely to find more Sybase
engineers who may have some additional ideas.

Michael Peppler - Data Migrations Inc. - mpeppler@peppler.org
http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler - mpeppler@mbay.net