From: Stephen dot Sprague at morganstanley dot com
Subject: message sending
Date: May 26 2001 5:55PM

I may be pushing the limit on this one, but even so, i'd like to know if
it's at least feasible. It has to do with message  sending  between  the
client and the sybase server w/o using syb_sendmsg().

to wit, from the server one can send a message to the client at  anytime
via a raiserror (or even a T-SQL print for that matter).  Now  the  part
that interests me is can I return a message back to the server processs?

In other words, something like this:

     declare @message_returned_from_client varchar(100)
     rasierror 30000 "message to client"
     select @message_returned_from_client = @@message

where @@message is packed by the  client  error  handler.  Does  such  a
global variable exist?

Cheers,
Steve
PS I know syb_sendmsg() can do this and that's not what this  is  about. :)
   It's about a global sybase variable the client can manipulate.