From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: DBD::Sybase failing to load on Win32
Date: Apr 3 2001 6:29PM

Hi David!

David LANDGREN writes:

 > On one system (win98), everything works perfectly. On another system,
 > however, DBD::Oracle works correctly, but DBD::Sybase dies a silent death
 > (it just reports "unknown error"). I am using version 0.91
 >
 > I used dbish  to see what was going wrong and I get the following output:
 >
 > Use of uninitialized value in length at C:/Perl/site/lib/DBI/Shell.pm line
 > 734.
 > Connecting to 'dbi:Sybase:server=xxxx;database=yyyy' as 'zzzz'...
 > Password for zzzz (Warning: echoed to screen):
 >
 > install_driver(Sybase) failed: Can't load
 > 'C:/Perl/site/lib/auto/DBD/Sybase/Sybase.dll' for module DBD::Sybase:
 > load_file:Une des bibliothèques nécessaires à l'exécution de cette
 > application n'a pu être trouvée at C:/Perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 200,
 >  line 1. at (eval 3) line 3

 > That message is saying words to the effect of "One of the libraries
 > required by this program was not located", although I should hope Michael
 > P. has managed to retain some notions of french after all this time ;-)

yeah, yeah :-)

 > The file Sybase.dll does exist, in the directory listed in the error
 > message, and it is 65536 bytes long (same length as on the good system).
 > The sybase.lib and sybase.exp files also have the correct lengths.

I suspect that it's failing to find one of the Sybase dlls (i.e. one
of the OpenClient files). Can you verify that both of your Win98 boxes
have the same version of OpenClient and the same configuration?

Michael Peppler - Data Migrations Inc. - mpeppler@peppler.org
http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler - mpeppler@mbay.net