From: "David LANDGREN" <dlandgre at bpinet dot com>
Subject: DBD::Sybase failing to load on Win32
Date: Apr 3 2001 10:46AM

Hello,

I have been a long-time user of both Sybperl and more recently DBD::Sybase.

DBD::Sybase on Solaris 2.6 works flawlessly for me, however I am not having
much luck with Win32. I am using Activestate build 623 (perl 5.6.0). I
installed DBI, DBD::Oracle and DBD::Sybase via ppm.

On one system (win98), everything works perfectly. On another system,
however, DBD::Oracle works correctly, but DBD::Sybase dies a silent death
(it just reports "unknown error"). I am using version 0.91

I used dbish  to see what was going wrong and I get the following output:

Use of uninitialized value in length at C:/Perl/site/lib/DBI/Shell.pm line
734.
Connecting to 'dbi:Sybase:server=xxxx;database=yyyy' as 'zzzz'...
Password for zzzz (Warning: echoed to screen):

install_driver(Sybase) failed: Can't load
'C:/Perl/site/lib/auto/DBD/Sybase/Sybase.dll' for module DBD::Sybase:
load_file:Une des bibliothèques nécessaires à l'exécution de cette
application n'a pu être trouvée at C:/Perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 200,
 line 1. at (eval 3) line 3

Compilation failed in require at (eval 3) line 3,  line 1.
Perhaps a required shared library or dll isn't installed where expected at
C:/Perl/site/lib/DBI/Shell.pm line 743
__END__

That message is saying words to the effect of "One of the libraries
required by this program was not located", although I should hope Michael
P. has managed to retain some notions of french after all this time ;-)

The file Sybase.dll does exist, in the directory listed in the error
message, and it is 65536 bytes long (same length as on the good system).
The sybase.lib and sybase.exp files also have the correct lengths.

I have gone as far as uninstalling Perl and reinstalling, but the error
remains. I am at a loss as to how to proceed.

Thanks,
David Landgren