From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: after 5000 dbe deletes, internal directory control layer error - why?
Date: Mar 28 2001 11:48PM

Roleigh Martin writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > We have a DBI perl program that after about 5,000 deletes we get this
 > error message -- something similar happened with another program that did
 > about 5,000 updates.  The update program worked around the problem by
 > removing use of the second database handle.  The program logic basically
 > has a parent SQL select command that uses one database handle to get a
 > list of unique index keys of records to update, then inside a while fetchrow
 > next record loop, it does the update or delete for only one database record
 > at a time to minimize database locking.

Is the select and the delete on the same table? If so you have the
perfect recepy for deadlocks....

 > This is the error message:
 >
 > DBD::Sybase::db prepare failed: OpenClient message: LAYER = (6) ORIGIN = (8)
 > SEVERITY = (5) NUMBER = (1) Message String: ct_connect(): directory service
 > layer: internal directory control layer error: There was an error encountered
 > while binding to the directory service.
 >
 > Do you know what could be causing this error message?

My guess is that you are openeing new connections without being aware
of it, and after a while all memory is exhausted (or something like
that).

Michael Peppler - Data Migrations Inc. - mpeppler@peppler.org
http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler - mpeppler@mbay.net