From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: RE: problems with make
Date: Mar 5 2001 10:20PM

Jamie Belanger writes:
 > >Various problems here. First I suspect that the copy of perl was built
 > >with HPs unbundled compiler, whereas the compiler on the system is the
 > >bundled k&r C compiler. I suggest installing gcc and then rebuilding
 > >both perl and sybperl.
 >
 > I'm not sure what compiler was used for my perl executable. I downloaded a
 > precompiled binary for HPUX 10.20 at the HP-UX Porting and Archive Centre:
 >
 > http://hpux.connect.org.uk/
 > (http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Languages/perl-5.6.0/)

Right. I'm sure this is compiled with the add-on C compiler, and so
the compile switches that it "remembers" (in the Config.pm module) are
invalid when you only have the k&r compiler (in any case I don't think
you can use the k&r compiler to build dynamically loadable objects).

I suggest that you install gcc, and then build perl manually (which
should only be a case of:
       Configure -ders -Dcc=gcc; make; make test; make install
)

 > >Second - the Sybase include and lib directories are needed. If this is
 > >a 12.x installation then OpenClient is installed in
 > >$SYBASE/OCS_12/. Recent versions of sybperl should be able to find
 > >this (though I think they rely on the SYBASE_OCS environment variable
 > >being set for this to work correctly.)
 > >
 > >If you have an 11.x server then OpenClient *should* be in
 > >$SYBASE/include and $SYBASE/lib.
 >
 > It is an 11.x server... the $SYBASE/lib directory exists, but
 > $SYBASE/include is absent. Is there a problem with just copying the
 > $SYBASE/include directory over from another server?

That should normally be allright. It's better if you are certain that
the OC version on the other machine is the same, but the include files
don't change much between minor OC versions (i.e. between EBFs)

Michael Peppler - Data Migrations Inc. - mpeppler@peppler.org
http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler - mpeppler@mbay.net