From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Open Client Error
Date: Oct 23 2001 2:54PM

Lin Xiujian writes:
 > A sybperl application sometimes encountered the following errors. The
 > problem doesn't recur all the time. We are running the application on
 > Redhat7.1 with Sbyperl 2.13, sybase-openclient-11.1.1 connecting to ASE11.5
 > on NT.
 > Could anyone please advise what the cause could be?

 > Open Client Message:
 > Message number: LAYER = (5) ORIGIN = (3) SEVERITY = (5) NUMBER = (6)
 > Message String: ct_results():network packet layer:internal net library
 > error: net-lib protocol driver call to read data failed
 > Operating System Error: Socket recv failed - errno 110

It looks like a network error (i.e. that the network connection fails
for some reason). Looking at /usr/include/asm/errno.h I see that errno
110 is ETIMEDOUT, which means that there was no response from the
server within the time allocated by the socket interface. I'm not sure
what the default timeout is in this case. I think you need to look at
your network settings on the linux box, and possibly see if you can
speed up the network requests.