From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Naming one's hostname for sp_who
Date: Oct 9 2001 2:54PM

David LANDGREN writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > I have a number of old scripts kicking around on my server that I am loathe
 > to touch, however, I would like to be able to distinguish which one is
 > running when I do a sp_who.
 >
 > All the scripts connect with
 >
 >      my $db = new Sybase::DBlib $user, $passwd, 'ouessant', 'db_app';
 >
 > i.e. the name of the server is 'ouessant' and that is what shows up in the
 > hostname column of an sp_who. On the other hand, I have a number of even
 > older shell scripts that bundle stuff up in calls to isql, but there you
 > can use a -H switch to enter whatever you like as a hostname. I have edited
 > these scripts to set the hostname to the name of the script. It works, and
 > it makes the sp_who output useful.
 >
 > I am now trying to do the same for the scripts that use Sybase::DBlib, and
 > I can't see any easy way of doing it (like a sethostname method?) Is this
 > doable?

Normally DB-Library sets the hostname by default, but it may not do so
on a Win32 platform (if that's what you are using).

There is a DBSETLHOST(loginrec, hostname) call, but Sybase::DBlib
doesn't implement it (or at least not yet).

You could add the hostname to the appname field (i.e. "db_app on
$host", or something like that).

Or add this to DBlib.xs and call before making a connection:

void
DBSETLHOST(host)
	char *	host
CODE:
{
	DBSETLHOST(loginrec, host);
}

Put this around line 4540 of DBlib.xs (where you also have the
definitions of DBSETLCHARSET, etc), rebuild, and then call with
Sybase::DBlib::DBSETLHOST("my_host");