From: tim dot wilson at barclayscapital dot com
Subject: Seg violation on disconnect from Database handle
Date: Sep 27 2000 12:42PM

Hi

On 2nd to last line of some code we have:

undef $DBH;

to disconnect from an 11.9.2 Database.

Not really needed I know (but the failure we are experiencing may be
pointing to something we are doing wrong elsewhere).

Most of our code does this final undef and exits without issue. But with one
it SEGV's on this line with, the output from the debugger:

Signal SEGV at /opt/perl5/lib/5.00503/perl5db.pl line 1133
        DB::DB called at fifo_unm_proc.pl line 99
        main::fifo_unm_proc called at fifo_unm_proc.pl line 41
Abort(coredump)

Most of our code involves creating multiple command structures, due to our
use of cursors and these other command structures are undef'ed before the
final undef of the initial database handle.

I put a call:

$x = $DBH->Scalar("select getdate()");

on the line before the undef $DBH and this worked fine.

Any pointers as to where to look or what to try?

Version Info:
This is sybperl, version 2.11

Sybase::CTlib $Revision: 1.40 $ $Date: 1999/09/21 21:05:01 $

Tim Wilson

Internet communications are not secure and therefore the Barclays Group
does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do
not necessarily represent those of the Barclays Group unless otherwise
specifically stated.