From: David J Iannucci <dji at myriad dot com>
Subject: Strange globbing of * in query
Date: Sep 19 2000 9:00PM

Hi,
   I'm using Sybase::DBlib from a recent version of SybPerl
(2.12 maybe?) with a recent Perl and ASE 11.5.

   I've got some code that sometimes, for some
reason, takes the * in a piece of SQL like

   "select * from table where blah blah"

and globs my home directory in!  I.e. the query
ends up as

   "select Dir1 Dir2 File1 File2 File3 from table ..."

where the Dirs and Files are names that appear in
my home directory.  At first I suspected Perl, but I
can't find anywhere in the code that would suggest
that Perl was interpreting that as a glob, and the
newsgroup comp.lang.perl.misc assures me that Perl
would never try to glob a simple * in a double-quoted
string.

I know I haven't given much to go on, but it would be
a bit much to try to quote the actual code, which is
fairly complex.  Has anyone ever seen a case like this?
Have any idea what might cause it?

Thanks,
Dave Iannucci
Myriad Genetics, Inc.