From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Help with SQL Server 7 and datetime
Date: Sep 18 2000 3:15PM

umesh@DBNA.COM writes:

 > I am in the process of upgrading from SQL server 6.5 to 7 and run into
 > a problem with datetime columns after upgrading my database. If I
 > "select" a column containing today's date, I get the date as "Jan 1
 > 1900". The result is correct if I use the convert function.
 >
 > This tells me that while the server has the right date, the
 > isql/sybperl programs are interpreting data incorrectly. Is there any
 > way to avoid the problem without changing the code on the client side?

The problem is that MS-SQL has changed the protocol, and screws up the
data for datetime values.

There isn't really anything I can do - I use the Sybase OpenClient
convert functions to handle things...

You can use convert(), or you can use the FreeTDS libraries to build
sybperl (FreeTDS has a special switch for this, I think).