From: Matthew E Studley <matthew at coms dot com>
Subject: newbie : transaction levels
Date: Sep 18 2000 10:23AM

Hi all

just found the list - pls forgive breaches of whatever etiquette is
current.

Having to migrate from Oracle 8 (NT) to Sybase 11.9.2 (Debian Linux) -
we will be writing apps in C and Perl.  Initial overview of Sybase docs
(first time I've seen Sybase was last week) worries me; default
transaction and isolation behaviour not similar to Oracle.

Q1.  Can I reset transaction / isolation behaviour globally for a user
so that all requests / own procs executed by user have desired
behaviour.  Alternately, do I just reset them with each new db
connection?

Q2.  Has anybody got any suggestions for writing Sybase stored procs
that return the equivalent of tables / varrays... so that an output
parameter in my proc call can return a list of rows through which I can
iterate.  I'd rather encapsulate all db access than give the developers
any native SQL to embed in their code.

oh ... and by the way... hello!

regards

Matt