From: "Jeff Greif" <jgreif at befree dot com>
Subject: Re: Moving to a specific row
Date: Aug 31 2000 5:20PM

I wrote this thing (groaning all the while) because the guy doing the web
pages complained about how slow it was to throw away many thousands of rows
to get at a page of 100 in the middle of a long result set, when the user
clicked Next.  From a forms-based app, I guess you'd use some kind of browse
cursor, but the HTTP environment in this case prevented holding the cursor
across multiple web pages.  Because there was a user interaction to get each
page, efficiency was not a huge concern (at least until hundreds of users
start doing it simultaneously).  There's an index on the ordering field, so
the basic queries are pretty efficient.  I'm not sure of the FETCH RELATIVE
@offset from the cursor though -- even with a server-side cursor it must be
pretty bad.

Jeff