From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Moving to a specific row
Date: Aug 31 2000 2:07PM

Andrew Armstrong writes:
 > I routinely have to report large numbers of database table rows to a web page
 > and was having a problem limiting the number of rows I display using the
 > standard CTlib methods. I can use set rowcount xxxx but this only limits the
 > resultset to the first xxxx rows. I want to be able to move the resultset to a
 > row that I choose. I can do this in PHP and was wondering how the best way to do
 > this in Perl would be.
 >
 > The only solution that i have found is to call ct_fetch() xxxx times and ignore
 > the results or to use ct_sql to move the results into an array and start at the
 > xxxx element. Neither of these seem very good for system performace.

I don't see how PHP could do this any better than perl. It is limited
by what Sybase understands, and in this particular case it is limited
by the way SQL works.

As SQL is set-based you can't say "get me rows x through y". Instead
you have to use an appropriately constructed where clause that will
give you the next x rows.